汉语中有些跟食物有关的歇后语,它们的字面意思和实际意义相去甚远,比如老黄瓜刷绿漆——装嫩,小葱拌豆腐——一清二白,他们是借助了某种食物的特性来表达了另一层面的深意。
英语中也有很多类似的表达,让我们一起来看看吧!
bring home the bacon
赚钱养家
We have to make a living and bring home the bacon .
我们必须负担自己的生活,并养家糊口。
butter someone up
讨好、巴结某人
We'll have to
butter Emily
up before we tell her about the broken vase.
在告诉Emily我们打破了她的花瓶之前,我们要好好奉承她一下
cool as a cucumber
沉着冷静
He is as cool as acucumber about the accident.
他面对这件事时非常冷静沉着。
egg someone on
怂恿某人
He tried to
egg us on but we didn't want to fight.
他想要怂恿我们但是我们不想打架
full of beans
神采奕奕
Don’t worry about her, she was rather ill this morning, but now she’s full of beans.
别为她担心,她今天早上病得蛮厉害,但现在已经活蹦乱跳了。
use your noodle
动脑筋
You know the answer. Just use your noodle!
你知道答案的,好好动动脑筋!
少儿英语口语,成人英语口语,上海少儿英语就来
贝灵思特,教你不同的
英语口语!